“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesioan 5:2)
If you want to know how to be a fantastic husband, then ask the wives. Here is what they had to say.
1. Always show your wife how “special” she is to you. Tell her you appreciate her. Send her a loving text in the middle of the day. Give her a flower “just because.” Remember important days like birthdays and anniversaries. Sometimes give her warm touches that don’t lead to anything else.
2. One of the quickest ways to make your wife feel “less than special” is criticism. What you may see as constructive criticism will probably feel like an attack to her. Try not to criticize more than once a week. It will make you more aware and less likely to be critical of things that don’t really matter—which is almost everything. They say it takes five encouraging comments to neutralize one negative remark.
3. If you want to have a great sex life, keep the romance alive. Continue to date your wife. Set the mood with candles, music, massage, affectionate words, etc. You will be rewarded!
4. Compliment your wife’s appearance. She knows you are visual. Your compliments are important to her self-esteem. Much of her sexual desire is tied to whether she feels attractive to you. Pay her a few simple, sincere compliments daily.
5. Women are naturally wired to be caregivers: compassionate and sensitive. They often take care of everyone around them with little time left for themselves. Offer to give your wife a break so she can pamper herself with a bubble bath, a girl’s night out, or just a day to go shopping by herself.
6. People tend to be what you say they are. Tell your wife what a great wife, friend, and lover she is. You won’t be disappointed.
7. In order to keep your wife’s emotional love tank full, remember to talk to her in her primary love language. If you don’t know what it is, then go to http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/love/
8. Women have an emotional need to share their thoughts and feelings. If she is sharing a problem, she probably wants to be heard more than she wants you to solve things. Take time to be a good listener and validate her.
9. On the first day of each month, ask yourself the following question: “What must it be like to be married to me?” Are you putting as much effort into your marriage as you did during your courtship?
10. Put Christ at the center of your life and your marriage. I don’t understand it, but most wives concur, that when their husband initiates praying together, it is one of the most romantic things he can do.
How many of the above steps do you follow? If you follow at least six of the steps you are probably a “pretty good” husband, but why not be a “FANTASTIC” husband and follow all ten!
May God bless and keep you in His loving care!
Ed and Angie Wright
P.S. You can also follow us on our new Marriage by God facebook page for daily tips on how to enrich your marriage. Click here and “like” our page!