One of the first steps towards improving your communication skills as a couple is to identify where your communication is not as healthy as it could be. Discuss with your spouse the following list of communication killers to determine where either one of you could improve your communication skills in your relationship. Do either one of both of you:
- Communicate with lack of detail.
- Communicate with excessive detail.
- Communicate with a loud or angry voice.
- Fail to communicate things that the other should know; for example, you don’t tell your spouse about an upcoming social engagement until days after you knew about it.
- Hold back communicating what you are really thinking.
- Often become defensive when discussing things.
- Communicate things that are intentionally hurtful.
- Retreat and stop communicating at all.
All of the above prevent a couple from communicating in the fullest, most meaningful way. God wants married couples to operate with each other’s best interest at heart. Be intentional about correcting any areas that need improvement in your relationship.
I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:1-3